My darling Abigail! You are such a kind, unique, independent
soul; I hardly know where to begin.
![]() |
| She vacuums with me on cleaning day. Such a good helper! |
You have such a potent imagination! The store-bought toys sit
untouched most of the time, cast aside for the unlimited possibilities of a wicker
basket filled with canning lids, or perhaps a wooden spoon and soup pot. Measuring
spoons, TV remotes, a cardboard box, a scarf, my hat, a water bottle, the
purple box from our wedding favors- these items are you favorites! Even the
rare television show isn’t enough to hold your interest, though you do love to
dance to the Leave it to Beaver theme song. A favorite pastime is to take a big
gulp of water, let it dribble onto the kitchen floor, then spread it out with
your hands (but you are kind enough to then clean it up when I hand you a dry
cloth. Thank you!) I long to know what goes through your mind as you tinker
about, moving items from one to container to another, stirring a pot of ‘soup’,
or intently wiping the table with a cloth.
Music has always been a part of you, from soothing Simon
& Garfunkel and You Are My Sunshine in your early colicky days, to Do Re Mi
and Mr. Fancy Pants now. You love playing on the piano and helping Papa strum
the guitar. Sometimes you even press your cheek against the guitar to feel the
vibrations. You love to clap along with the audience after a live performance
track, and bounce excitedly to particularly heavy drum beats. You love to hum,
and try to snap with Mary Poppins in A Spoonful of Sugar. Music has always affected
you, and I love that you particularly enjoy 40s music! Sing Sing Sing gets you
clapping and bouncing, and Paper Doll makes you smile and sway. No Barney for
this gal. :)
You are strong-willed and independent. You prefer to turn
the pages of books yourself and to comb your own hair (or at least try!), and
even try to buckle yourself into the car seat, getting irritated when I have to
do it for you. You get frustrated easily when unable to accomplish a task, but
will keep on trying anyway until you succeed. Orrr you will throw the object
across the room and move on to something better! If you don’t want a bath, ain’t
nobody going to make you take one! You refuse to sleep until you are good and
ready, and greatly dislike the interruption of diaper changes. You are
definitely a girl with a mind of her own!
![]() |
| It's crazy to see my daughter playing with the same exact toy I had when I was her age. Thanks for hanging on to it, Mom! |
You refuse to be spoon-fed, opting instead for real food that
can be picked up instead of purees- big bites of banana, bits of apple, raisins,
cheddar cheese, roast chicken. No applesauce or mashed peas for you! Your
palate is also quite unusual; you prefer chili, salty potatoes, green
smoothies, molasses cookies, and sourdough toast with tomato basil jam, though
you definitely do not like eggs or sweet potatoes (weirdo). Stacy’s garlic and
thyme pita chips are a favorite treat. You even love your cod liver
oil and elderberry syrup! However, despite your love of strange foods, you
still prefer breast milk above all else. Even at 15 months, you are exclusively
breastfed. Food is still just an exploration of texture and flavor for you, and
that is okay. You know what you want and I respect that. It wouldn’t hurt you
to give mama a little bit of break though… :)
![]() |
| "Oh hello Kenzie, would you like to read this book? Here you go!" |
You are so kind and affectionate. You always share your
toys, both independently and when asked. You love bringing things to papa and
I, like spatulas and stuffed animals. You will even bring us our cell phone if
you find it! You love to crawl into our laps with a book, or sit on our head
when we lie on the floor. :)
You are very generous with hugs and kisses, and hate when either one of us
leaves the room, even for a moment. Above all else, you LOVE to be held. I
think you would spend all day in my arms if allowed. You will sometimes drag
over the baby carrier and request that I wear you. Everyone says that once a
baby starts walking, they will always be on the move and not want to be held anymore.
Not you! Sure, you definitely have a blast running around the house, sometimes
laughing like a maniac! You had quite the time running up and down the aisles
at Kohl’s the other day, and have recently discovered how to climb the ledge on
the bathtub. You simply know the awesomeness of a good hug and the warm embrace
of mama’s arms, and I absolutely love that about you.
This is getting pretty long, as there is so much to say
about you! But I shall try to wrap it up. It’s the little things that really
get me, that I want to remember. Your groggy, half-opened eyes when you just
wake up. The way you clearly nod your head when wanting to say yes. How you
created your own sign for wanting to nurse, and use it often. :) That you walk right
over and try to open the freezer when you want a teether. The way you will
spontaneously point to the Jesus or Mary statue, and smile when we start to
pray. How you’ll give that Jesus statue a hug and be sad when we take it away. I
love that particular high pitched giggle-squeal you let out when chasing after
the cats, and how you are (usually) so gentle with them, even when trying to
pick them up. I adore the way you squidge up your face when declining to taste something.
You hate having your hair washed. You love to play with the red cup in the
bath, filling it up and pouring it out over and over. You lift up your legs for
me when I put on your pants. You’ll excitedly pull up your shirt whenever tummy,
belly, or bellybutton is mentioned, then promptly want to do the same to us. :) You love to scribble
in a notebook, just like mama, and to be held for a long while when waking up
from a nap, just papa did when he was little. You get a kick out of watching
the chickens, and love to watch the blender and food processor at work. I love
the way you inhale sharply but excitedly when a strong wind blows across your
face, tucking your face into our shoulder, and how you manage to turn
practically all the way around in the grocery cart (despite being buckled in),
preferring to face the world head on instead of going backwards. You are way
too smart for me, little one. Just now, I looked down to see you trying to trim
your nails with the fingernail clipper- now just when did you figure that out?!
(and where did you get the clippers…)
And lastly, two of my favorites: how when you wake up in the
morning, you will wobble-crawl over to me and lay your head on my pillow, then
roll over and push your little body into mine. And how sometimes you will
gently hold my face in your hands and just gaze into my eyes, then nuzzle into
my neck. I love you, too, baby girl. More than you will ever know.



No comments:
Post a Comment